The MoneyReady Forum

For expenses I used joint owner,  but for investment accounts I used individual account owner.  So basically if i understand correctly the App takes 50% of total expenses and finds funds from me and my spouse  to fulfill the requirement (spending + taxes) due to for each individual?

Administrator

Yes,

That’s mostly correct. Joint expenses are attributed proportionally to income so not necessarily 50%. But you got the important point that each spouse pays them from their own accounts (and joint accounts when available).

Thank You for the prompt response.  OK.  This gives me a better understanding. "Joint expenses are attributed proportionally to income so not necessarily 50%" Understood...

On this note, 

1.   From above,  if  joint expenses are attributable proportionally to  income for each spouse ( say salary, investments, CPP etc)....  what happens when additional shared income is in play,  say from CPP sharing or RRIF income are shared for each spouse, how is this addressed ?

2.  On the basis of #1 above,  say one spouse splits their CPP directly at source (CCP sharing via request to CPP) before CPP starts (to even out  CPP income for both spouses) ,  how  do we account for this in input data?

3.  In addition to #2 above,  say for example one spouse on their taxes splits pension income (RRIF withdrawal)  starting  @65 with the other spouse, how do we account for this in input data?

Administrator

I should have specified taxable income. Here’s the gory details:

1.If we have previous year’s taxable incomes for the spouses (sum of the two is not 0), we use those to determine the proportion, so that deals will all the income splitting/sharing.

2.If that doesn't work we use the current total incomes of each spouse. That’s before the CPP/taxes calculations, so no pension splitting/sharing is considered in that case.

3.If that doesn’t work we use the net worths of each spouse (previous year, sum of the two is not 0).

4.If that doesn’t work we use 50%.

This is re-calculated for every year in the TIME MACHINE.

#1 usually works although #2 is often applied in the current year if a user doesn’t bother to enter last year’s taxable incomes in the TM preflight input screens. 

#3 and #4 rarely happen.