The MoneyReady Forum

I noticed that the balance of my self directed RRSP was less in Moneyreadyapp then what is in my bank statement. I assume this is because US securities are not converted automatically converted to Canadian dollars? It doesn't seem to be an option available when setting up the account.

Administrator

Depends on the view you are looking at in which currency investments are shown. In the Investments list for a particular account, each investment’s price, market value and book value is shown in its native currency, and the currency symbol is shown, so for a US security you'll see  US$49.37 or €6.00 for a Euro stock for example. At the bottom of the list is the total in CAD for the account, where all the foreign amounts have been converted to CAD. That amount is what you’ll see as the balance for the account in the list of Accounts.  The list shown in "View Investments in all accounts" also show investments prices and values in native currency. That makes sense as you can change the prices right on that screen, and you wouldn’t want to have to convert it yourself (same as when you add or edit the investment). In the Excel download of all accounts, there is  a Currency column there instead of showing the currency symbol on the values, to make it easier to do calculations in the spreadsheet.

The totals in CAD shown in the Accounts list may differ from your bank statement in CAD due to a difference in the date of valuation of the investments (thus price and number of shares), and the currency conversion rate. As mentioned you can see the prices used in the Investments list. You can also see the conversion rate being used in the app under RATES/YIELD/CURRENCIES. If you have a lot of rates, just type currency in the search box above the rates table. You should see the rate for USD. You can change it for today and for the future in the TIME MACHINE.

Keep in mind that the app updates the foreign currency exchange rate nightly using the daily rates from the European Central Bank. It also updates investment prices and values nightly using market data provided by Fundata Inc for those investments we track with a ticker symbol. And if you’re a Wealthica user and linked the MoneyReady App to Wealthica, you can update investments on demand from them.

For calculations in the TIME MACHINE and in its results and reports, all foreign investments are converted to CAD.