The MoneyReady Forum

When converting a LIRA to a LIF, you can unlock 50% at that time and transfer it to an RRSP (assuming you have room).

I couldn't find an official way to do this. When I try and withdraw half of it after converting it to a LIF, it seems the withdrawal doesn't happen. So what I did is set the LIRA as an RRSP, then withdraw the 50% from it on that date and immediately contribute it back to the actual RRSP.

Any better way to do this?

(sorry for the multiple questions today, I do appreciate the help) 

Administrator

Yes, the rules vary by province, but there is currently no "official" way to do unlock a LIRA in the App. It's been a feature request for a long time. The unofficial way we currently deal with it, is by allowing the TIME MACHINE  to make withdrawals from LIRAs after 65. Essentially it assumes that you have already done some sort of conversion. It still only allows withdrawals up to the maximum amount for a LIF though (that depends on age and province), so it probably won't allow a 50% withdrawal.

For projections it doesn't matter whether the money stays in the LIRA account or put in the RRSP, unless you plan to invest completely differently with different expected returns for those two accounts, or if you plan to make large withdrawals beyond the required minimum withdrawals. Those are uncommon circumstances, so that is why there has not been too much motivation on my part to implement an "official" way. It would bring a lot of complication, as I said the rules vary, it would require additional inputs from users, and if it requires creating an RRSP account that hasn't been entered yet, could also complicate the output. That said, for you or anybody else reading this, you can comment here or on the forum/topic/98-partial-unlocking-of-lira-lif in the feature requests forum and let me know how you would use that feature.

Seems reasonable and understandable. Yeah, that's why I categorized it as an RRSP. Sounds like my approach should work to account for this.

The withdrawal form the LIRA at 65! That explains things... lol. I was doing it at 58 and it just didn't work.

Once again, thanks for the info. Hopefully having these posted on the forum as separate topics allows others to find answers and avoid asking questions in the future. I did read all of them :)