The MoneyReady Forum

I don't see the $2500 death benefits for either spouse when I run the TIME MACHINE.  When one spouse dies, the other spouse should normally be able to claim $2500.  When the remaining spouse dies, the estate should be able to claim another $2500.

This probably won't impact anybody's retirement planning because the amount of money is small and it is not tied to inflation.  Also, the money theoretically should be used to cover funeral expenses and I expect most people don't itemize those in this tool.  I am therefore not desperate to see death benefits added to the TIME MACHINE; I am only pointing out that they do not seem to be there and I found no reference to them in the eBook.  In general I am extremely impressed with the amount of detail that has gone into the TIME MACHINE!

Administrator

You are right. I am aware of it of course, but surprisingly haven't included it yet. I think that is because I find that puny amount to be offensively low. It has not been changed for years, and it doesn't appear it will be indexed any time soon.

Now you ask, I will add it. Will post here again when it is done.

Administrator

The TIME MACHINE will from today on calculate the death benefit if it also calculates the CPP/QPP pension (i.e. in cases where you are not already taking the pension). A section was added to the eBook. it reads:

There is a $2500 death benefit payable to the spouse (if there is one) or to the estate upon the death of a pensioner. To qualify for the death benefit, the deceased must have made contributions to the CPP or QPP for at least one-third of the calendar years in their contributory period for the base CPP/QPP, but no less than 3 calendar years, or 10 calendar years. This taxable amount has not been increased in years, and it does not appear that it will be indexed anytime soon. If you are not already collecting CPP or QPP, the TIME MACHINE will also calculate the death benefit. If you are already collecting the pension, and thus did not enter a CPP/QPP pensionable earnings table as described in the section above, no death benefit will be calculated as the TIME MACHINE cannot determine eligibility in that case.