The MoneyReady Forum

Hi. I have a question regarding the withdrawal optimizer and when RSPs are converted to RRIFs. Does the time machine/withdrawal optimizer choose what age is best to convert RSP to RRIF and start collecting payments? (Overriding any age the user inputs). In the Accounts and Investment section where the RRSP is entered, it seems that under the additional information section, there is a mandatory field: “Age converted or to convert RRIF”. I see that it is not possible to leave the field blank and have the optimizer choose for me what age is optimal to convert to RRIF and start collecting payments. Changing to various different ages seems to do the RRIF conversion on whatever age I specify. If the withdrawal optimizer does not choose the optimal age to convert RSP to RRIF, do I need to change the age to convert to RRIF and do various runs to see by trial and error which results in the best for me in terms of minimum lifetime taxes or maximum estate at end of life? Thanks in advance!

Administrator

There is no optimization for the age to convert RRSP to RRIF,  as it is not really needed. The Withdrawal Optimizer withdraws as is optimal from the RRSP/RRIF. The conversion age required only dictates the required minimum withdrawals once converted. It will use the age you entered to enforce those, mostly for users who have already converted. If you haven’t, best to leave it to last possible age of 71 which is the default, and that gives you and it maximum flexibility. It usually likes to withdraw before then to smooth out the taxes, but that entirely depends on the specifics of your scenario.