The MoneyReady Forum

Hi,

I have some money (One time deposit) coming in next year (severence) that will be taxable, but it wont be considered "earned income" by Revenue Canada and therefore will not count towards CCP/EI or RRSP contribution room.

How do I mark this in MRA as taxable, but non earned income? I have it set to Other Income, but MRA seems to still be calculating elligble RRSP room based on it for the following year.

I found this in an old post " 4. Other Income.    Other Income has been expanded to allow different tax treatments to allow income from trusts, companies you don't own, and other scenarios. It now allows non-taxable income, regular income (not earned), eligible dividends, non-eligible dividends and capital gains." but I see no option to tag it as "regualr income (non earned) in MRA.

Thanks

Administrator

Hi,

Yes, I did write that, and always meant for any of the 'Other income' types not to be earned income. Not sure if it wasn't set right from the start or if it changed along the way, that should be fixed now.  Enter it as Other Income, selecting Income for its tax treatment. It will be treated as taxable but not earned and will not add to your RRSP room. Thanks.