The MoneyReady Forum

I must be entering my GIC's incorrectly as it is throwing off my reports? First I don't see an option for GIC only fixed which shows up as bonds. Second I have not checked off the box to repurchase yet the model shows I am buying the GIC again in 2023? I have GIC listed as lowest priority also. I am finding the model is pulling from my spouse's RRSP in 2023 and therefore setting us up for a large tax bill. Can you let me know if it the addition of the GIC's on my last run that is causing this issue and if so how do I enter them properly?

Administrator

You are entering them correctly. However you have to realize what the TM is doing. At maturity, if not renewed,  it sells the GIC, but it does not delete it, it’s value is set to 0, and maturity set to null. The money goes into the Cash investment of the account. At the end of the year, it rebalances the account that held the GIC. Your GICs are each in their own account, which are set to 100% fixed-income allocation, since the GIC is fixed-income, it puts the money there, essentially reinvesting it.

Now that may seem odd way to do it, but that is the difficulty with my model that lets you track investments. It realizes that these are your investments today, and knows it may not be your investments in the future, but that when you replace them you will do so with similar ones in terms of rates and asset allocations for the accounts they are in. I’ve been thinking about writing a blog about that.

To remove the expired GICs, you need to take the money out of the accounts they are in. You can move the accounts higher on the Withdrawal priorities so they are emptied first if you need money. Or to guarantee the withdrawal, you can set an Automatic withdrawal for -100% of  the account balance with start and end date on the maturity date. You would also set Deposit Priority limits to 0 to make sure no money gets deposited there if you ever have a surplus at the end of the year.

I call all fixed-income investments Bonds because they all act the same way, sorry of that confusion.