The MoneyReady Forum

I imported all my 35 Wealthica Investments over 8 (RRSP, TFSA, LIRA) accounts. The problem with dealing with so many individual investments is entering the detailed info for each. Especially the % per year return fields (Income yield, Dividend yield, Capital appreciation growth rate, Capital distribution yield, Return of Capital distribution yield). Some of these are imported (Dividend) or looked up in FUNData, but the expected rate of return is tricker (Capital appreciation growth rate). The one-year back return (ToolTip) displayed is not that useful; you really have to come up with a realistic return for each stock for the long-term (i.e. retirement planning). I'm not sure eactly how to do that. I think it would be a lot of work to figure that out.

So, for now at least, I've deleted all imported Wealthica accounts and investments and manually created just 5 (keeping people and TDA types seperate) holding pots (TFSA-1, TFSA-2, RRSP-1, RRSP-2, LIRA-2) where 1 is me, 2 is my spouce. And then I enter a single Portfolio investment in each account with a Current Value (total of appropriate Canadian & USA TDA accounts) which I copy-paste directly from Wealthica, as well as the total average Dividend Yield (~ 3%) for all holdings and my expected total return which is ~ 6% (investments were selected to reach this target). So Capital appreciation growth rate ~= 3%.  And that's all I enter (i.e. no asset targets, etc.)

Question: I understand these simplied ACCOUNTS and INVESTMENTS won't be as accurate as having the actual investments with detailed info, and stuff won't get updated, but I thinking it should be pretty darn close, and a good (KISS) way to start...    Thoughs on this approach?

Thanks you.

Administrator

Setting up Portfolios instead of detailing every investment is fine. That's why we have that capability. Entering investments with Wealthica is a convenience we offer for ease of entry, and as it allows you to keep the values of your investments and accounts always updated. If you're not a Wealthica user, you can also enter them manually with a stock or mutual-fund ticker and we'll use Funddata market data to keep them updated and track distributions (you just have to update any trades you make). Although we show you the past year performance in the tool-tip, that is just for your information, and I don't recommend using short-term returns for the long-term of the TIME MACHINE.

We do allow you to set individual expected rates of return for every investment. You can even change them to apply different rates in the future. This is for maximum flexibility.

But you can set all your expected rates of return at once which makes it very fast and easy. There's a button to "Change all investment rates of return at once" below your table of ACCOUNTS. Click on that and you can set your expected yields for capital gains, dividends, fixed-income and cash. The tool will consider the asset-allocation of every investment in every account to determine its rates of return for you. For investments with a stock or mutual fund ticker (entered with Wealthica or Funddata), we know the asset allocation from the Funddata market data and use that default unless you've changed it. For a portfolio investment, you will have entered its asset allocation

Thanks for that. A follow-up question:

So, I could have kept all my Wealthica imported ACCOUNTS and INVESTMENTS and just clicked the "Change all investment rates of return at once" button for all ACCOUNTS to set the % per year values all INVESTMENTS at once. But how would this work for a GIC - 1-Year - 5% (100% Canadian Fixed Income asset) holding? How is the global expected yield applied to this specific fixed-income holding?  Is the 5% lost, averaged in, or overriden?  Or am I missing or getting something wrong here. :-)

Thanks again.

Administrator

On a 100% fixed-income investment, it will apply that global expected yield you enter for fixed-income in the income yield for that investment. It will override your entries. If you don't want the globals you set applied to some specific investments, you can still change the yields for any investment you choose and set them to what you want afterwards.

Ah yes, I see.   Perfect, perfect, perfect!  So much flexibility; I love it!    That will work great!

Thank you for the amazing support!

Administrator

Yes, easy and flexible is what we aim for. Thanks.

I'm having issues dealing with RRSP, TFSA, LIRA holding pots as described above, so I want to go back to importing my (35) holdings using Wealthica. It's great that it auto-updates and provides detailed holding info with Dividend values.

What I'd like to do is click the "Change all investment rates of return at once" button so that it only changes the Capital appreciation growth rate (i.e. 3%) values everywhere, and nothing else, so that the pre-populated Dividend values stay unchanged for each holding (investment). But the interface appears to not permit that as it requires a value in each field.

Is there a way to get around this? It would be great if entering 0 would set the corresponding % per year field to 0 everywhere, and leaving a field <blank> would leave the corresponding % per year field untouched everywhere.

This ability in my mind would be quite powerful, easy to tweak, and easy to maintain.

Thank you.

% per year return fields: (Income yield, Dividend yield, Capital appreciation growth rate, Capital distribution yield, Return of Capital distribution yield)

Administrator

Yes, we can certainly use Wealthica to update your investment values. But those updates do not affect the expected rates of return you entered for those investments. Wealthica does not provide us with rates for dividends or other distributions. We have distribution information for tickers from Funddata, so we show you those where appropriate so you can use that information to guide you. However, we do not assume past rates of return will apply in the future, and we want you to enter your long-term expected rates yourself.

The MoneyReady App bridges the gap between short-term portfolio management and long-term financial planning by allowing you to manage your current portfolio while realising that your current portfolio will probably change in the future. The TIME MACHINE projections use the rates set for your current investments assuming they will be replaced with similar investments. So think long term for the rates you set.

Wealthica does not provide us with rates for dividends or other distributions. We have distribution information for tickers from Funddata.

Yes, and that's great and it's super easy to copy-paste these dividend values in for each holding on each investment screen.
And that's the point: Dividends are easily found/entered. Coming up with individual long term expected returns (Capital appreciation growth rate) for each individual holding is virtually impossible.

So, if the TIME MACHINE can use all my actual holdings, each with with readily available information ($ amount, asset allocation (ETF), dividend, risk), then it would be amazing then to simply enter a single Capital appreciation growth rate value to populate all holdings (the best I can do), leaving eveything else alone. Say 3%. I use 3% because I know from looking at my Brokerage and Wealthica/Wealthscope Add-On stats that my WEIGHTED AVERAGE YIELD (Dividend yield) is 3% and my portfolio was designed to target 6% total return (capital appreciation and dividends). So 3% (6% - 3%) is the value I would use for Capital appreciation growth rate. The beauty is I could quickly/easily change and propogate that value to all investments for different scenarios. This seems to me like a great practical way of maximing readily available information.

If I try to populate Capital appreciation growth rate and Dividend yield values with a single "Change all investment rates of return at once" button click, i will lose at least some accuracy on how each pot of money (ACCOUNT) would grow, the fact that a given stock has a high dividend in a given ACCOUNT, etc.

I may be missing something here for sure...

Thank you.

Administrator

Coming up with individual long term expected returns (Capital appreciation growth rate) for each individual holding is virtually impossible.

Yet advisors do it all the time :).  Use their guidelines https://www.moneyreadyapp.ca/forum/topic/128-2023-projection-assumption-guidelines or your own judgement.

The same is true for the dividend yields. They can change too in the unpredictable ways of the market. If you want a stock to have a specific dividend yield, just enter it. The tool to set all rates at once is just used when you use it to set the rates, you can then modify exceptions as needed. Realise the rates set are for all time going forward in the TIME MACHINE unless you change them for future dates in RATES/YIELDS/CURRENCIES.